Monday, August 27, 2012

Morocco: The longest day --- the accident (part 1)

Passing Akhfenir, the road follows closely to the ocean. The beach has some tents, Sweet Potato is taking some pictures and I get distracted by the landscape. When I look to the road again, it is too late! The very next thing we know was being rescued beneath the motorbike.

Sweet Potato injured her knee and made a hole on her toe, Tear Drop got scratched and I am limping a little bit. Meanwhile, a crowd joined us moved by curiosity and willingness to help. As Tear Drop was still able to move, I went to the gendarmerie with a Moroccan boy to get some help. Nervous with the situation, my spanish was not flowing anymore and my petit French got vanished! After a few deep breaths, I was able to explain what happened and they called the ambulance. When I came back to the accident place, Sweet Potato was comfortably installed in the sand, under a beach umbrella. Just missing a cold piñacolada!


Few minutes later, the police arrived. I handed my international drivers license, insurance papers (a good option for Portuguese vehicles is Tranquilidade, which in its Portuguese policy already covers Morocco) and  passports and they started doing some measures and writing a report of the accident.

During this time, Sweet Potato continued resting, but her toe became numb.
Worried, I asked: Can you move your big toe?
SP: I am moving!
Clark: Again! (while looking to the frozen toe, without a single reaction!)
SP: YES?! I am doing it!
Clark: Okay. It's good! (controlling the reaction in order to avoid showing her that her toe was totally static)

My heart stopped and moved by a huge fear that her toe's nerve had been affected, I approached the police again: Where is the ambulance? It had been more than 1 hour!! Their comment was Tarfaya is 100 km away. The ambulance needs time. Desperately, I went back to Sweet Potato. The ambulance is coming. Rest.

Soon, the police calls me: Are you going with her in the ambulance?
Clark: Can I take the moto and join her in the hospital? I need it, as we are going South.
Police: But you need to come back to Tarfaya to sign the report.
Clark: Can you finish it now and I sign it?
Police: Ok.

Shortly after, he hands me the report to sign. A minor problem: It's in Arabic! Any way, it seems I have no option rather to sign it. Someone in the former crowd was able to speak some Spanish and it seems to be ok...
I sign and, as a reflex, Where is the ambulance?. It had been 2 hours already and once again the same answer...

Two hours and a half after the accident, finally the ambulance arrives. Sweet Potato has time to sign her report and goes inside the ambulance. By now, she was afraid, very afraid. Tears roll down her face while I give her a kiss and hold her hands.

The local people had showed all their character, by being with us all the time, helping, offering their smiles and holding the beach umbrella. A huge THANK YOU to all!

I will take the motorbike and meet Sweet Potato in the clinic in Tarfaya. The longest day is not even half-way through yet.

1 comment:

  1. Isto com este nível de pormenores é mais... envolvente/emocionante!!

    ReplyDelete