Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Morocco: The longest day --- the accident (part 2)

Shortly after Sweet Potato's departure, I left as well. The hot air, the light wind, the adrenalin still in my veins and the difference in weight over the motorbike made the ride different. South of Akhfenir, the road deviates from the coast, giving place to some salt extraction sites, then it crosses sand dunes and, 50 km later, it reapproaches the coast line, with the tents punctuating the landscape once again. This time, I don't admire it! Instead, I keep remembering the accident, anxious to reach Tarfaya to know about her. Finally, the road has an intersection, and towards the right, I can see the small fishing village. It took me 1h30m to get there.

The village is quiet and I quickly reach the small clinic. Sweet Potato is laying in bed, frightened. They need to do a surgery, she says, with the tears rolling down the face. I hold her hand and try to calm her down. I am told that Sweet Potato needs to go the hospital to do an X-Ray to check if the knee is broken. About the toe, they can treat it. Also, for my relief, it is moving again!!!

There are two nurses. The man is in charge and the lady (much better in English!) is helping him. He is getting ready, finalizing to prepare the anesthesia. Sweet Potato is very anxious and keeps crying, afraid. I try to calm her down when the nurse gives the injection in her toe. Soon, the toe has no reaction to needles: it is time to give some stitches.

Sweet Potato is able to relax a little bit and to tell me about the previous ambulance ride. The driver was in Tan Tan celebrating the end of Ramadan with his family when he received the phone call. So, he had to drive to Tarfaya to get the ambulance (200 km) and then to the accident place (another 100 km). Now it makes sense that they took more than two hours!! Meanwhile, the nurse gave five stitches, all without pain. Sweet Potato is ready to be transferred to the hospital.

Moving down from the bed, I noticed she didn't bend her leg. Neither she did it in the washroom... nor while riding the wheelchair!! Surprised, I ask Why do you keep your leg stiff? followed by a reply: I cannot bend it!! By the second time in one day, I had a cold sensation throughout my spine.

The ambulance was ready. She went inside, I gave her a "see you soon" kiss and I was strongly slapped on my back. It's time to move said the ambulance driver. I got confused whereas I had just been punished for giving her a kiss... He was dressed on a more "traditional" way and I had noticed that women here are more covered...

Anyway, I had to get moving and to follow the ambulance on the motorbike. The hospital in Laayoune was still 100 km further South.

Insider's view of the ambulance from Tarfaya to Laayoune

1 comment:

  1. Is this story going to have a third part?? Will that be the last one? You're killing us!! :P

    ReplyDelete